It is never too late to start making smarter food choices and to maintain a healthy weight.
A healthy weight is defined as the appropriate body weight in relation to height. It is best achieved when it happens naturally, as a result of adequate self-care. It can also be comfortably maintained with “normal” healthy eating and regular physical activity,
How is Healthy Weight calculated?
Body Mass Index is a simple calculation using a person’s height and weight. The formula is BMI = kg/m2 where kg is a person’s weight in kilograms and m2 is their height in metres squared.It is a useful measurIt’s e of overweight and obesity.
- If your BMI is less than 18.5, it falls within the underweight range.
- If it is 18.5 to 24.9, it falls within the normal or Healthy Weight range.
- Your BMI is 25.0 to 29.9, it falls within the overweight range.
- It is 30.0 or higher, it falls within the obese range.
Who shouldn’t use a BMI calculator
BMI is not used for muscle builders, long distance athletes, pregnant women, the elderly or young children. This is because BMI does not take into account whether the weight is carried as muscle or fat, just the number. Those with a higher muscle mass, such as athletes, may have a high BMI but not be at greater health risk. Those with a lower muscle mass, such as children who have not completed their growth may have a lower BMI. During pregnancy and lactation, a woman’s body composition changes, so using BMI is not appropriate.
Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight
- Emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Includes a variety of protein foods such as seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes (beans and peas), soy products, nuts, and seeds.
- Is low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars
- Stays within your daily calorie needs
7 Free ways to maintain a Healthy Weight
Many things can affect your weight, including genetics, age, gender, lifestyle, family habits and culture, sleep, and even where you live and work. Some of these factors can make it hard to lose weight or keep weight off.
But being active and choosing healthy foods has health benefits for everyone—no matter your age or weight.
- Watch your portion sizes: Eating smaller portions can help you to avoid eating too much food and allow you to include more of the foods you love into your daily life.
- Eat good foods: Foods high in sugar and calories lead to weight gain if you are not careful. Choose foods that are high in nutrition and taste, like fruits, vegetables and whole grains. You don’t have to sacrifice your favorite foods in order to take care of your body either. It’s ok to have a couple of cheat meals or cheat days every once in a while.
- Drink more water: Drinking water, along with eating good foods and exercising daily is a healthy habit. It can help you to maintain a healthy weight. According to the Obesity Society, drinking water on a daily basis can also shrink your waistline and change your body fat percentage over time.
- Track what you eat: Many people are unaware of exactly how many calories they consume, which is why it’s important to track and monitor the total calories you eat and drink each day.
- Exercise daily: Your body weight is affected by the amount of energy you take in and the amount you use. If you want to maintain your current body weight, you will need to use as much energy as you consume; to lose weight, you need to use more energy than you consume. Find a good exercise program that includes both cardio and strength training. The benefits of daily exercise are more than just keeping your body weight in check; exercise also builds muscle, strengthens your heart and helps your body to function at its best.
- Get more sleep: Getting a good amount of sleep every night helps to reset your body, preparing it for the next day. Make time every day to get enough sleep. Doing so will help you function better throughout the day, and keep you from eating extra. If you have trouble sleeping, find ways to relax your body like yoga, reading or stretching.
- Make a goal and stick to it: To accomplish any goal, you need to know where you currently are. Find out your Body Mass Index (BMI) and come up with a plan to stay in the healthy category.
If you need to speak with a professional regarding your weight and other issues, get access to a nutritionist for free through www.favdoctor.com. You can also get access to our other products and services there.