Skincare is the practice of using products, natural or not, that enhance the appearance of the skin and keep it looking fresh. It can also be a routine you do every morning and/or every night to keep your skin refreshed and free of clogged pores
Makeup is the totality of care substances used to enhance the appearance of an individual. It is also used to help build up an individual’s esteem or confidence and to hide imperfections. A makeup kit consists of all the various beautifying items such as eyeliner, lipstick, eyeshadow, foundation, and powder of different brands, colors, and different skin types. There are also different types including water-based, mineral makeup, powder-based e.t.c.
When talking about makeup, what most people don’t consider is skincare.You may want to ask. Is skincare really necessary? What is the importance or purpose of skincare or facials?
Importance of Skincare
- Skincare helps your skin to stay in good condition: Most makeup products have a lot of chemicals in them and it’s dangerous for those chemicals to stay on your face. Skincare helps to take them out and keep your face in good condition.
- It keeps your skin pores clear and clean.
- It gives your skin a youthful look. As you advance in age, your skin starts to look dull. A very effective skincare routine can remove the dead skin cells so your body can produce new cells and give you that youthful look.
- It boosts self-confidence. When your skin looks good, you feel good about yourself and your self-confidence is given a boost.
- It prevents skin problems. A skincare routine can help to prevent skin problems and they usually cost less than treatment.
- It is vital to a healthy body. The skin is the first line of the body’s defense. Skincare fortifies the skin for protection against pathogens that can cause infection once they enter the body.
It is important to start a skincare routine very early so it can help to slow down the aging process of the skin.
Know your skin type
Before starting a skincare routine, it is important to know your skin type. For some skin type, sprinkling water in the mornings and evenings is enough. For others, it isn’t. There are five (5) skin types.
- Normal skin: This skin type is neither too oily nor too dry. Its pores are barely visible and it is usually radiant in complexion.
- Oily skin: This skin type usually has an oily or greasy appearance. It happens when there is excess production of sebum. It may have a dull or shiny complexion and blemishes. It may also have enlarged pores.
- Combination skin: This skin type is a mixture of two skin types- dry skin and oily skin. It is characterized by dry cheeks, oily T-zone(forehead, the nose, and the chin), and breakouts on T-zone. Sometimes harsh products can contribute to a change in skin type from any type to combination type.
- Dry skin: This skin type is characterized by peeling or itching. It is usually rough with red patches and has an uneven texture.
- Sensitive skin: This skin tie sometimes reacts to skincare and becomes red after a hot water bath.
Tests for Skin type
In case you don’t know how to identify your skin type, here are two tests for you.
- Blot test: This is the easiest and fastest way to test your skin type. All you need is blotting paper and light. Take the blotting paper and gently pat your cheeks and T-zone. If there is little or no oil, you have dry skin. If there is oil all over the paper, you have oily skin. If there is oil on the T-zone and your cheeks are dry, you have combination skin.
- Bare face test: Wash your face with a cleanser, pat it dry, and do not apply any product. Wait for about an hour and evaluate your skin. If it is flaky, you have dry skin. If it is shiny on the T-zone, you have combination skin. If it is shiny on both the T-zone and the cheeks, you have oily skin.
What Every Skincare Routine Should Have
The basic process of skincare is cleansing, moisturizing, and sunscreen. This is a list of basic things that every skincare routine should have.
- Sunscreen: Sun damage increases the risk of skin cancer and this can be reduced by the use of sunscreen. It is a must-have in every skincare routine.
- Moisturizer: Moisture is a very essential part of skincare. It helps to hydrate and soften the skin.
- Cleanser: This is used to wash the face clean of dirt and bacteria. It is very important to use a cleanser intended for your skin type.
- Toner: This is an optional step. It’s a great way to balance the skin’s pH. If you have dry or sensitive skin, use a hydrating toner. If you have acne-prone skin, it’s better to use a toner that has salicylic acid (for calming breakouts).
The Effects of Not Taking Care of the Skin
Not taking good care of your skin also has its effects.
- Your skin will be prone to all kinds of diseases – Inadequate care of the skin can expose the skin to all forms of diseases.
- Your body will be affected – The skin is the covering of the body and if it is not taken care of, bacteria and dirt can enter through it and cause harm to the body.
- The skin will be wrinkled – When the skin is not taken care of, the body ages quickly and wrinkles begin to appear.
Tips and Tricks for all Skin types
- Always moisturize your skin no matter the type.
- Know your skin type.
- Don’t use too many products.
- Always cleanse or rinse twice to fully get rid of dirt, bacteria, and oil that has built up on your skin.
- Always do a patch test before using a product. A patch test is done by applying a small amount of the product to your inner arm and watching how your skin reacts to it.
- Use sunscreen regularly for protection from UVR (ultraviolet rays) and UVB (ultraviolet B).
- Use face masks for skin care.
- Exfoliation is key but don’t overdo it.
- Use antioxidants like Vitamin C for a glowing face.
- Eat and drink with your skin in mind.
- Never use expired products.
- Always look for natural DIYs (do it yourself) to add to your skincare routine.
- Know how to layer products (cleansing first, then serum, then eye cream, then face cream e.t.c).
- Do not sleep with makeup on your face.
- Use good quality products.
- Be consistent with your routine.
- Visit a dermatologist at least twice a year.
Check us out at www.favdoctor.com. We offer online doctor consultations. In case you need to see a dermatologist, you can book an online consultation. We are available 24/7.