Simple Eye Care Tips in the Digital Era
There are simple eye care tips that can help you keep your eyes healthy and free from vision related challenges especially with the current increase in the consumption of digital content.
Have you ever experienced blurry vision or itchy eyes just on looking at a screen or looking away from a screen? Have you seen a single text double before you? These are signs that you should pay attention to eye care.
Ever seen some people these days wear glasses with bluish lenses? You think it is a fashion trend or something for the tech bros? Naaah!
No, it isn’t a fashion trend. It is a simple eye care method and a healthy device to protect the eyes from Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS) and vision related problems especially for people whose work demand long hours of glaring at the computer.
Now more than ever, people get their eyes glued to their TV, phone and computer screens for work purposes, learning purposes and of course for pleasure. While working or deriving pleasure from this action, it is important to take note that the longer we stay glued to these screens, the more the attraction of the vision-related problems to our eyes.
You would agree with me that you spend more than 7 hours on digital screens and prolonged use of computers, tablets , phones and other screen devices result to digital eye strain which is called Computer Vision Syndrome. The level of discomfort increases with the amount of digital screen use because these screens have high visual demands and the eyes have to pay painstakingly for it. Individual’s experience with CVS differs as this depends on the level of their visual abilities to cope with the screen demand and the hours spent using the screen.
Causes of CVS
- Prolong use of digital screens
- Inability of viewer to meet the visual demands of the screen
- Sitting position, viewing distance and angle
Symptoms of CVS
The common symptoms of CVS are:
- Blurred vision
- Dry eyes
- Doubled vision
Causes of These Symptoms
- Poor lighting
- Consistent and excessive glaring at digital screens
- Improper viewing distances
- Other vision problems
Eye Care Tips
There are quite a number of simple eye care tips that can help reduce the risk of CVS, help you maintain a good vision health and enjoy every sight. Few of this eye tips are highlighted here.
- The 20/20/20 rule
The category of people who are at the greatest risk of developing Computer Vision Syndrome are those who spend two or more continuous hours using digital screen devices everyday.
Here is where the 20/20/20 rule then comes in useful and healthy. Take a 20 second break every 20 minutes to look at a object 20 feet away. You can also take a 15-minute break after every 2 hours of using digital screens.
2. Get an anti-glare screens and/or glasses to protect your eyes.
3. Digital devices now come with eye shield features. Look for the feature on your devices and set it to your comfort.
4. Position your body properly for computer use. Your screen should be about 15 – 20 degrees, that is 4 – 5 inches below your eye level, and 20 – 28 inches aways from the eyes. To avoid neck and body aches, get a document holder or place documents above the keyboard to avoid incessant head movement.
5. Position your computer in areas where light wouldn’t fall on the screen. Use window blinds during the day, and ensure that the lightning in the surrounding is enough.
6. Get a comfortable chair that allows you maintain a good sitting position.
7. Blink frequently to keep your eyes moist and avoid drying.
8. Increase the font size of your device texts.
The eyes serve as the light of the body and should be cared for tenderly. Therefore, if you need to speak to an optician concerning any vision related problems, reach out to FavoriteDoctor or chat us up directly here right from your comfort zone.